Sunday, December 18, 2011

Preparing for War... on poop.

Spent a lot of today cleaning up the house and garage for when Rachel's parents get here on Tuesday.  Part of that process was giving the cloth diapering supplies their initial wash.  Another part will be attaching the diaper sprayer to the toilette... that can wait until tomorrow.

Anyways, apparently there is a process to washing clothes that includes a few decisions: hot, cold, warm, hot then cold... Are colors friends with each other? Am I being racist if I separate out the whites from the colors...  How much detergent? Well, the cap is this big so I should put in...  Long gone are the days of two or three piles: clean, not so clean, and dirty. Also gone is the option to just use whatever setting the washer is on and hope for the best.

Anyways, looks like all this stuff can handle a cold wash with 1/4 the usual detergent (and, by god, it must be free of dyes and fragrence), then the diapers themselves get another round in the hot/cold cycle.  Tumble dry on low for the stuff that came out the first time, high heat to dry the diapers themselves (supposedly will kill the bacteria later on).

Who woulda thought that laundry could be so complicated?

1 comment:

  1. Me thinks maybe your reading to much in to this. Whenever I do the laundry I do not discriminate I try to be very PC. I put all colors in at the same time use an conservative amount of detergent as to not kill all the cultures that my be present. In the end I have laundry of mixed color and can be treated the same on any occasion sharing bacteria among all clothes equally. Please remember titty babies are protected by mothers milk in ways we may not understand completely. Me also thinks that Dec. 26 2011 would be a nice day for Audrey's birthday because that was grandma Bessie's birthday my fingers are crossed!

    ReplyDelete